Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ipod--part 1 of 2 part series. Part 1: My top 25 most played

Some things about Ipods are ingenious, such as knowing your top 25 most played. Looking at mine it is shocking and revealing. So, let's look at who and why and what the top 25 say to me/mean to me.

My 25 most played--no kidding:
Glee, Adele, Florence and the Machine, Ray LaMontaigne, English Beat (The Beat), Flight of the Conchords, The Frames/Swell Season, Head and the Heart,Damien Rice, Mumford and Sons, Lifescapes (relaxation/stress relief music), Eddie Vedder, U2: Live in Paris, Dashboard Confession (MTV unplugged), Black Keys, Chicago Soundtrack,  Celtic Playlist, Fleetwood Mac: Rumours, Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain, YoYo Ma, Sinead O'Connor, Russian Favorites, Kelly Clarkson, Regina Spektor: Live in London and Gogol Bordello.


Many of you are shaking your heads at this list. For those who know me really well you are asking yourself: "U2 is so far down the list? Only one album? What the hell is Kelly Clarkson doing on this list? Where's Wicked? Where's Weller/Jam/Style Council? " And the right question really is Where are a LOT of people?

Back in March my ipod lost a TON of my music and all podcasts, etc.,  when I switched it from a PC to a MAC. You'd think it would know how to do that better. Genius my ass! What remained were just the items I bought off of itunes, as well as had ripped from cds onto this mac. (I go to the library a lot and get stuff that way as well as hit my fave store Twist and Shout in Denver.)  That's it. I've been living with just 4036 songs for months! OH such a 'white person' problem! However, I used to have, well, I don't know how many, they were lost, ya see? So it has been difficult and I've felt like I didn't have much variety of anything on here and just kept listening to the same stuff over and over.  I had stuff that worked for me and frankly didn't know what some of the other stuff was and I was never in the mood to find out. So, into a rut I went and after approx. 2 months I couldn't handle it anymore. Today I played my ipod on, wait for it, SHUFFLE! RANDOM?  I'm way too type A for that right? Well, every once and a while I can surprise myself. Today I decided to NOT BE AFRAID OF MY iPOD!  But before I ventured into the unknown I wanted to get an idea of what the ol' higher technology has been tracking for me. You've heard of most of these bands/music but let me break it down for ya and figure out what it means to be played more than hundreds of other artists and thousands of other songs.

Glee--good all around mix. Singing along with, dancing, cleaning, etc. I believe this is their goal.
Adele--you just *may* have heard of her. Beautiful songs/moody and feel like belting it out. And I can cause no one is around and (almost) no one hear me. Inspires me that a sophomore effort can be better and we can all improve and reach amazing heights.
Florence and the Machine--combo of belting it out along with being ethereal and odd but mobile
Ray LaMontaigne --gorgeous songs, esp to sleep with or enjoy a quiet rainy day. Had a bunch this Spring. Also, he was the first performance for me at Red Rocks so that's a great memory.
English Beat (aka The Beat to those outside of America)--gotta have ska to make me happy and help me get anything done around house. Summer in SD feel. Old 91X days!
Flight of the Conchords --weekend a.m. music. Sets the tone for the rest of the day/weekend--FUN and funny. Too many mutha'uckas ucking with my shi' ... and it keeps us on track with our sweet weekly sex in our business socks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU in my old AmeriCorps t-shirt.
Sexy no? (and mine is considerably more paint-splattered and thread-bare since it is 15 years old)

The Frames/Swell Season--Irish version and combo between Adele and Ray which means I'm moody but not in a bad mood, just soo deep and emotional.  If you haven't seen the movie ONCE  see it and you'll be a fan!
Head and the Heart--the requisite Pac NW hipster band--good tunes, nice variety, helps me feel current and edgy, like I'm not stuck in the 80s/90s--I'm still cool!
Damien Rice--edgy, sad, belt it out Irish, deep and angry and beautiful, I am concentrating only on this music mood/feeling only emotions. Nothing else exists when this is on. Talking is not allowed.
Mumford and Sons--a bit mixed--complex, deep, traditional but modern, bringing Irish folk sound to the masses and making it current. Feeling conflicted but working on it and always growing kind of mood, Yeah, I fucked it up but I'm more than that and can be poignant and dance at the same time.
Lifescapes: relaxation/stress relief--sleeping or reading pretty much only. Spa feeling when I can't get to a spa/can't afford it.
Eddie Vedder--his Ukelele songs are so simple and sparse takes me right to a beach in Hawaii, the way he intended. Good travel planning/thinking about other places music. However, I used to listen to his soundtrack to Into The Wild  all the time before it was erased by the capricious god called Apple.  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2115475456/tt0758758   If you have never seen the movie/heard the soundtrack--DO IT NOW. This is THE Eddie cd--AMAZING and transporting. Takes you to unknown and solitary places in your soul and you come out better for it.
U2: Live in Paris --U2 live is always great but this one hits me cause it was on the cusp of them getting too big---they don't really realize it yet--I listen to as many live performances as possible. This cd has some of my fave U2 songs. Sing along/summer outdoor concert feel. Great to blast through the whole house and to outside. Nice that it is my most recent U2 acquisition and not played a million times yet, still just in the hundreds. ;-)
Dashboard Confessional (MTV unplugged only)--live recording with the crowd almost singing over the performance makes it awesome. Great 20s angst feel, angry, clever, hurt, heart on sleeve, hold nothing back emotion, SCREAMING infidelities cause no one is around and I can do that. Did I mention that I live on the top of a mountain and forget I have neighbors? Maybe there is a reason we've seen no bears yet. Naaah.
Black Keys--edgier and bluesy version of the same feel I would listen to Head and the Heart for.
Chicago Soundtrack--sing, dance, get housework done and make it a good time music--"I am the biggest Mother......Hen"
My Celtic Playlist: this is a playlist I made of lots of typical "Irish" pub music, most have no words, just a LOT of good fiddle and good memories of being in Ireland so it is my heart calling me back 'home' and being nostalgic.
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours--a very interesting album to listen to now as an adult. It came out in 1977 and I kinda grew up with it and now it all makes sense! I should write up a whole piece on just this. Weirdly makes me think of middle-school and lots of relationship stuff while I do stuff around the house.
Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain--sometimes do housework to this but mainly it is just feel good dance music--you really can't think of much else when this is playing. And come on: Oh-RE-Oh-RE-Oh! So you get Morris Day and the Time too!
YoYo Ma: to listen to while reading a book. Beautiful. Cello is the best and he's the best. I can't really read a book and listen to music with words so this is perfect. You can picture me listening to this and reading can't you?
Sinead O'Connor--More moody Irish music you say? Not enough of belting it out and feeling pain and being angry at the government and the lost country/culture yet? Nope, not yet.  I really love all Celtic music and felt at home in Ireland. Hearing Gaelic spoken/sung is amazing. (Have you counted the number of Irish on this list?) ALL of Sinead's work is brilliant. She's brilliant.  Is she crazy? Yep. Crazy good. http://www.sineadoconnor.com/  Her Sean-Nos Nua album is NOT to be missed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean-N%C3%B3s_Nua
here's one of the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR0CjBtsG8I&feature=related
NO one will question how I can listen to her so much.
Russian Favorites--I have no idea, don't understand one word in any song, and yet the Russian folk sound speaks to me. I love listening to it and knowing that I've been there before somehow and that one day I will go there for the first time. Since I don't know what they are saying I can read to this but only things like magazines, not books.  To give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAngjlaVnM&feature=related
Kelly Clarkson--again, you may be asking what she's doing on this list? I find that I can listen to her while doing other stuff and be present in both, what I'm doing and her music. She's more than just pop, and she gets more and more interesting as she matures. Would my life suck without her? Hmm, don't think so, but she adds to it.  And no, I don't/never have watched Idol.
Regina Spektor: Live in London--she's amazing! So heartfelt. Totally sing-along or equally good just listening to her quirky voice and irregular rhythms. She takes me all over in her music: To Russia, to NYC, and to LA because of the movie 500 days of Summer (again, if you haven't seen it you are missing out!) and then to London because this was recorded there. And to ATL where we first saw her in concert. The mood is happy and whimsical for most of the cd, a bit ethereal and sad too, but always pure Regina.
Gogol Bordello--first of all, Q: why they are last on here?  A: my dumb Ipod only has 1 album of theirs and I can't over-play it so they would be higher if I could listen to all of it.  ALL of their stuff is brilliant and twisted and fun and THE BEST live performers I've ever seen.  Gypsy/Punk/electric and manic version of the traditional Russian folk songs REALLY are amazing and get you going. Three languages in each song usually.  I can listen to them and dance and sing the day away and it is almost as good as being there, no idiots in the mosh pit that way. Well, one idiot, but I doubt I'll get too hurt in the kitchen.  In case you don't know of them, fix that now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzDvHK1hevY
This link takes you to them performing in Jools Holland's studio so if they are this good in a studio--wow! (notice that everyone in the studio can't stay still!)  Also, love Jools and his is THE best music tv show ever--America has never come close.

So, why post this? What have we all learned boys and girls beyond that I have awesome musical taste and that I can't do any housework without music? Well, first,  my most amazing and patient hubby is working on restoring all of our collective music and fixing my ipod,  but in the meantime I decided to live on the wild side and let my shuffle option play for me so I could compare how I feel listening to the above 25 vs random. The random will be blog part 2.

Going through this list and thinking about why I play it so often and how it makes me feel was a really good experiment. I mean, how sucky is it when someone asks you why you like something so much and you can't explain why, right? So, this was helpful to me. It made me consciously see the patterns that have been forming, at least for the last 2-3 months. Now I wish I knew how the pattern would have been different say 1-5 years ago. Wait, how long have iPods been around?  (ahhh... the old walkman) Anyway, it is interesting to see which music really means something to you, what sticks with you and for how long. I plan to check back on this every so often.  If you gotta work on house projects the above music is good to get you through in a good mood.  Oh, and go to Ireland! I promise--worth it.







No comments: